Baltimore geologist Issac Tyson establishes the Baltimore Chrome Works chromite processing plant on the waterfront to the west of Fell’s Point, producing chromium chemicals for American textile mills and pigment manufacturing plants.
1930 – 1940
The plant is expanded and modernized by the Mutual Chemical Company (acquired the facility in 1908).
The plant is expanded a second time. Baltimore Chrome Works grows into the world’s largest facility for the manufacture of chromium chemicals.
Environmental investigations conducted at the site establish that large quantities of chromium are migrating from the site, with most of the chromium being released to the Baltimore harbor.
The plant shuts down due to economic conditions and foreign competition. Study of the site continues, yielding reports on remediation and feasibility.
Several larger manufacturing buildings are dismantled. A rock embankment is constructed around the site’s perimeter to support old and failing bulkheads. Contaminated soil in the southeast portion of the site is removed.
The Baltimore City Council passes a Planned Unit Development (PUD) ordinance for development of the site.
Construction of a deep barrier wall (more than three feet wide and 70 feet deep) around the site begins. The bentonite “slurry wall” is completed in 1996.
Work begins on a cap consisting of natural materials and an impermeable synthetic liner that covers 15 acres of the site. The cap is completed in 1999.
Workers complete a building that houses the site’s water transfer station, computer nerve center, and new offices.
Tanks, a laboratory, and a wastewater treatment plant on the site are dismantled, allowing for completion of the multimedia cap. Allied Signal acquires Honeywell and retains the Honeywell name.
Ground lease signed between Honeywell and Harbor Point Development.
Planned Unit Development approved for up to 1.8 million total square feet.
Construction of Thames Street Wharf begins.
Thames Street Wharf opens, with Morgan Stanley moving in as the first Harbor Point tenant.
Planned Unit Development approved for three million square feet of mixed-use development.
Tax Increment Financing approved by Baltimore City Council to fund construction of infrastructure and public park space on Harbor Point.
Construction begins on the Exelon Building with a connected Central Plaza.
Construction begins on 1405 Point.
Exelon Building opens.
Sandlot opens on the southwest end of the site. The 40,000 SF artificial beach is planned as a temporary installation until the development of Harbor Point Park.
Construction begins on Wills Wharf.
1405 Point opens.